Full Sail releases Phil Tan video on Youtube
Inside the Mix of Rihanna’s “Diamonds” with Phil Tan
From the Full Sail press release:
Full Sail Recording Arts graduate/Hall of Fame inductee Phil Tan dives into his mix session for Rihanna’s chart-topping hit single, “Diamonds,” talks plug-ins, and answers questions about his mixing techniques.
As a Graduate of Full Sail’s Recording Arts program in 1990, Phil earned some of his first engineering credits working with Kriss Kross, Run DMC and Toni Braxton. Since those early years, Phil has also served as a solid member of Rapper / Producer / Songwriter / Record Mogul Jermaine Dupri’s camp in Atlanta. Phil’s studio work includes Mix Engineer credits on GRAMMY Nominated releases by TLC, Will Smith, Brandy, Usher, Lil Kim, Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, Anthony Hamilton, Snoop Dogg & Pharrell, Omarion, Nelly, Destiny’s Child, Gwen Stefani, and Mariah Carey to name a few. Phil has also served as a Trustee for the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Phil has been awarded three GRAMMYs for his work with Rihanna, Mariah Carey and Ludacris.
“Hey kagimedia.com…is the full sail video the same video you have on your website??”
Quite a few users have asked us if the full sail video is the same one we have on our website. No the Phil Tan Mixing videos we have on our website are not the same video. Our Phil Tan program features several mixes and also Pro Tools sessions offering a comprehensive learning experience. See below…
[ Inside ] The Mix ® with Phil Tan – Mixing program on kagimedia.com
Read what’s included:
[ Inside ] The Mix ® with Multi Grammy-winning Mixer Phil Tan:
Program Includes: The Feature Video + Video Add-Ons + Files Add-Ons
The program Inside the Mix includes multiple sets (or groups) of Videos. A so-called group of Videos might range from topical screen capture videos all the way to full length documentaries shot on camera. Some also include “downloadable companion files”.
For example, “Hybrid Mix” (the video) includes Files Add-On: “Hybrid Mix Audio Assets” which is Pro Tools sessions and audio files that go along with that video. Conversely, some videos do not come with downloadable companion files. For example, the group of videos Phil Tan “track by track” mix review: Artist: Wiz Khalifa, Song: “Black and Yellow” does not have any downloadable companion files.
Also Note: The program Inside the Mix is not static, we may modify, add or remove files over time. You can always find out what is currently included on product page.
All Currently Active Videos:
1) Hybrid Mix: The entire process of Phil Tan mixing a pop rock ballad on a hybrid setup. Runtime: 01:47:56;00
2) Phil Tan “track by track” mix review: Artist: Wiz Khalifa, Song: “Black and Yellow” Genre: Rap. Runtime: 00:33:27;00
3) Phil Tan “track by track” mix review: Artist: Anthony Hamilton Song: “The Point Of It All” Genre: R&B. Runtime: 00:15:43;00
4) Phil Tan on Summing Mixers: Phil explains and performs alternative analog summing methods. Runtime: 00:05:45;00
5) Inside The Box Mix: Phil Tan creates an all “in the box “mix (using Plug-Ins and w/ outboard pre-master options). He uses the same song he mixed in the program Inside The Mix (which was mixed on an SSL / Pro Tools / Tape / Hybrid system). This program is great as a standalone and comprehensive in the box mixing study but can also provide an excellent comparison of sorts – for viewers who have seen both programs. Runtime: 00:31:00;00
Total Runtime: 04:30:51;00
All Currently Active File Downloads:
1) Hybrid Mix – Audio Assets: Pro Tools sessions and Audio Files that go along with Hybrid Mix video.
2) Summing Mixers – Audio Assets: Final Audio Passes let you demo the different passes at full rez.
3) Inside The Box – Audio Assets: Pro Tools sessions and Audio Files that go along with In The Box Mix video.
To Be Announced
About Phil Tan: Atlanta, GA-based music/audio engineer Phil Tan is a 3-time GRAMMY Award recipient, as mixer for Mariah Carey’s “The Emancipation of Mimi” (Best Contemporary R&B Album, 2005), Ludacris’ “Release Therapy” (Best Rap Album, 2006) and Rihanna’s “Only Girl (In the World) (Best Dance Recording, 2010). Among the artists on Phil’s list of credits: Jennifer Hudson, Janelle Monae, Wiz Khalifa, Usher, Ne-Yo, Leona Lewis, Monica, Snoop Dogg, Janet Jackson, Corinne Bailey Rae, Enrique Iglesias, Gwen Stefani, Anthony Hamilton, Taio Cruz, Ciara, Outkast, Jay-Z, Lionel Richie, Nelly, Alicia Keys, Jermaine Dupri, The Neptunes, TLC, Aretha Franklin and Toni Braxton. Sales of albums and singles sold in the US with Phil listed in the credits as mixer, engineer, remixer or producer total over 250 million. Phil has mixed and/or recorded 23 singles that have reached Number One on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.